UPDATED Thursday at 5:20 p.m. with statement from Zion Police:
Zion Police Chief Darryl Daniels released the following statement:
“…We are saddened at the senseless loss of life and are saddened by the assault at this evening’s event. As a resident of Zion, I would like to assure the community and the world that Zion is a safe community. In the past 24 hours Zion has experienced other mass shootings in unrelated locations. We will continue to work in consultation with the FBI and the ATF as they investigate the events of tonight to determine if there is a connection. As we struggle with this tragedy, we also realize that it is time for healing. The Zion Police Department will provide every resource available to help the community heal.”
“He used a 7.62 rifle and also shot some handguns,” Zion Police Lt. Paul Palmer told the Chicago Tribune. The intended target was not believed to be among the people wounded, Palmer said. The identities of the dead are not being released, Palmer said.
Initially, 13 people, including four police officers, were wounded during the incident, police said. Seven were taken to area hospitals and five later at hospitals in Illinois. All are in stable condition.
“There were no active shooters,” said Zion Police Sgt. Robert McGowan, one of several authorities at the scene. “There was a party that went wild. Some people were shooting weapons.”
Palmer told the Tribune that four people including police officers had been injured. The injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.
As of 8:30 p.m., 23 people had been taken to area hospitals, McGowan said. As of 8:10 p.m., 19 of those had been released.
The shooting took place in the 400 block of Second Avenue East, police said. They were called to the scene at about 8:10 p.m.
McGowan said police made two arrests in the shooting, and they would be looking for those suspects.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.