A 14-member judicial panel has held an inquest into the Friday incident in which a public panel said “more than one dozen lives were lost” and “more than 20 were wounded.”
Judicial commission of inquiry spokesperson and former member of the National Assembly Ahmed Bello Mahmoud was quoted in The Nation newspaper on Saturday as saying the judicial panel would find “unlawful use of firearms against security officials” of the Police and other agencies.
The judicial panel was set up following a public panel that held in Lagos late Friday said “more than one dozen lives were lost” and “more than 20 were wounded.”
“The public interest counsel Mr. Festus Keyamo described the alleged shooting as a “massacre” and called for the “immediate arrest of the fleeing gunmen.”
The Federal Government stepped in hours after the incident, banning commercial motorcyclists – known as Okada – within 30 miles of the toll gate, the latest in a string of setbacks for the $7 billion Lekki toll gate project.
President Muhammadu Buhari, who had scrapped the project in 2015, approved its rehabilitation, which involves 17.4 kilometers of new expressways, and 10,500 homes.
Of the $7 billion project, the government had already allocated $1.5 billion as state and federal government contributions, with all the money to be spent by the contractor – China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC).
A Lagos state government official said at the weekend: “This is our road. It is our toll gate and we need to ensure that it is properly maintained. It is our responsibility to make sure that the gate is safe. So, we hope those who want to change the modality for its operation will respect the constitution.”
However, Senator Wahab Dosunmu, one of two senators who had queried the project, said he would continue to fight for justice in the case, the Times of London reported.
“We cannot allow this project to be aborted for one reason or the other,” he said.