Break the Floor dance troupe, co-founder Travis Wall ‘suspended’ pending investigation

CNN’s investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Break the Floor dance company co-founder Travis Wall led the company to announce Friday night that he will be taken off the stage until further notice. “Break…

Break the Floor dance troupe, co-founder Travis Wall 'suspended' pending investigation

CNN’s investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Break the Floor dance company co-founder Travis Wall led the company to announce Friday night that he will be taken off the stage until further notice.

“Break the Floor’s artistic leadership of Travis Wall will be suspended effective immediately,” the company said in a statement. “We are hiring an independent firm to conduct an independent investigation into what we all know to be systemic issues of sexual misconduct in the art community.

“We will be reviewing our hiring practices, including the process of auditing our background checks.

“Our company is not without its flaws, and we know there is more to do. This is the right step in cleaning house so that we can ensure all of our artists are protected.”

The statement comes after CNN aired a seven-part investigative series on Wall earlier this week. In one of the reports, two women accused Wall of sexually assaulting them in 2013. CNN’s investigation also included the use of video and multiple accounts of those who claim to have experienced similar behavior with the New York City-based company.

This is the second time the company has issued a statement on the allegations. On Friday, Break the Floor said Wall would not perform at the company’s upcoming shows in Miami this weekend, citing the CNN report.

Wall, however, said he only agreed to the second delay because he wanted to give his coworkers and the company time to “resolve everything.”

“I’m a work in progress,” Wall told CNN on Friday. “I’m in a process right now of rebuilding relationships and rebuilding trust with people, and it’s happened in waves, and this will be another wave of that.

“I do think we owe it to the dancers, and I think it’s the right thing to do at this point.”

Wall said his interactions with the dancers were “overly permissive,” but did not make a specific comment about the assault allegations.

“There was an over-indulgence that I did show, and that I did think OK,” Wall said. “I think I was letting that influence the work that I did and maybe could have done in a better way.”

Wall also said he believed the dancers will want to stay in the company, and that he wants everyone to move forward together.

CNN has not verified the allegations against Wall beyond those recounted in the company’s own report. CNN’s network of sources include interviews with 21 current and former employees, associates, dancers and others in the dance community who were either explicitly interviewed by CNN or asked for information by CNN that was corroborated by other sources.

“It was way deeper than I ever thought possible,” Wall said of the investigation. “It’s been tough for a lot of people, especially dancers.

“But for the most part, it’s been a learning experience for everyone, and I think that the show will go on.”

Leave a Comment